At Welling Homeopathy, we are continuously researching into better ways to stop the growth of cancer in our patients and to revert the damage caused by these cancers. The 4 step cancer treatment protocol, rightly called CUREplus protocol, offer more than just cure. Along with Homeopathic treatment, we advocates a better life style and a healthier eating habits for a cancer free life.
I was reading about a new way of treating cancer called anti-angiogenesis, which means preventing the growth of blood vessels that feed a tumor. The crucial step: Eating cancer-fighting foods that beat cancer at its own game. Basically it stops the cancer calls from getting its food and fuel for growth as told by Dr. William Li during his fascinating TED lecture.
You can read the essay below by the famed Dr.Mercola edited by me for brevity:
“Angiogenesis” is the process your body uses to build blood vessels. Cancerous cells, like all other cells in your body, cannot thrive without the oxygen and nutrients supplied by your capillaries.
Virtually all of your blood vessels are formed while you’re in the womb, but there are still certain circumstances in adulthood when your body will grow new blood vessels.
Blood vessels are created each month to form the lining of a woman’s uterus, for example. And during pregnancy, new blood vessels form the placenta, which connects and shuttles nutrients to the growing fetus.
“Your body has the ability to regulate the amount of blood vessels it needs at any given time,” Li explains, and it does this through an elaborate system of stimulators and inhibitors.
“But for a number of diseases there are defects in this system,” Li says.
In some cases, your body becomes incapable of “pruning back” extra blood vessels, and in others it cannot grow enough new ones.
In these situations, angiogenesis is out of balance, and a myriad of diseases result.
For example, insufficient angiogenesis (too few blood vessels) can lead to:
- Chronic wounds that will not heal
- Heart disease
- Erectile dysfunction
Excessive angiogenesis (too many blood vessels) promote diseases such as:
- Multiple sclerosis
You are what you eat, and there are vast differences between a historically wholesome, nutritious diet, and the processed, chemical-based foods that pass for sustenance today.
Strategies for Starving Cancer, and Obesity
In his TED talk, Dr. Li focuses primarily on cancer, because angiogenesis is a hallmark of the disease. As stated earlier, cancer cells cannot grow into noticeable tumors without sufficient amounts of capillaries feeding them oxygen- and nutrient-rich blood.
As it turns out, the majority of people carry around microscopic cancer cell clusters in their bodies, but not everyone actually develops cancer.
This is because as long as your body has the ability to balance angiogenesis properly, it will prevent blood vessels from forming to feed these microscopic tumors. Trouble will only arise if, and when, the cancer cells manage to get their own blood supply, at which point they can transform from harmless to deadly.
“Anti-angiogenic therapy is the method of cutting off blood supply to the cancer,” Li explains. “This can be done because tumor vessels, unlike healthy vessels, are abnormal and poorly constructed, and because of that, they’re highly vulnerable to treatments that target them.”
The answer is preventing cancer from occurring in the first place, and that’s what’s so exciting about Dr. Li’s research.
Interestingly, obesity is also largely dependent on angiogenesis.
“Like tumor cells, fat cells grow when blood vessels grow,” Li says. So in essence, a cancer-preventive diet is also an obesity-preventive diet.
The Cancer-Preventive Diet
Dr. Li believes the answer to cancer is to prevent angiogenesis, which can effectively starve any microscopic cancerous growths, preventing them from growing and becoming dangerous.
As it turns out, “mother nature has laced a large number of foods, beverages and herbs with naturally occurring inhibitors of angiogenesis,” says Li.
So by consuming these anti-angiogenetic foods you can naturally boost your body’s defense system and prevent blood vessels from forming and feeding the microscopic tumors that exist in your body at any given time.
So, “eating to starve cancer” could have a dramatic impact on cancer rates across the world.
According to Li, resveratrol from red grapes, for example, have been shown to inhibit abnormal angiogenesis by 60 percent. Even more potent is the ellagic acid found in strawberries.
Other anti-angiogenetic foods include:
|Green tea||Berries: strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries||Cherries|
Logically, different foods contain different potencies of anti-angiogenetic compounds. But interestingly, when researchers evaluated a combination of two of the LEAST potent teas, for example, they discovered that this combination tea had greater potency than any given tea by itself.
Other Important Strategies that Can Help Prevent Cancer
So clearly, no cancer prevention plan is complete without this simple lifestyle modification.
Normalizing your vitamin D levels with safe amounts of sun exposure is one of the most effective, and least expensive, strategies that is available to most people. Ideally, you’ll want to monitor your vitamin D levels to make sure your levels stay within a therapeutic range year-round.
Here are several additional strategies you can incorporate to virtually eliminate your cancer risk:
- Control your insulin levels by limiting your intake of processed foods and sugars as much as possible.
- Get appropriate amounts of animal-based omega-3 fats.
- Exercise. One of the primary reasons exercise works is that it drives your insulin levels down. Controlling insulin levels is one of the most powerful ways to reduce your cancer risks.
- Have a tool to permanently erase the neurological short-circuiting that can activate cancer genes. Even the CDC states that 85 percent of disease is caused by emotions. It is likely that this factor may be more important than all the other physical ones listed here, so make sure this is addressed. My particular favorite tool for this purpose, as you may know, is the Emotional Freedom Technique.
- Only 25 percent of people eat enough vegetables, so by all means eat as many vegetables as you are comfortable with. Ideally, they should be fresh and organic. However, please understand that, frequently, fresh conventionally grown vegetables are healthier than organic ones that are older and wilted in the grocery store. They are certainly better than no vegetables at all, so don’t use that as an excuse. If you are a carb nutritional type you may need up to 300 percent more vegetables than a protein nutritional type.
- Maintain an ideal body weight.
- Get enough high-quality sleep.
- Reduce your exposure to environmental toxins like pesticides, household chemical cleaners, synthetic air fresheners and air pollution.
- Boil, poach or steam your foods, rather than frying or charbroiling them.
You can visit us personally or talk to our doctors at Welling Cancer Clinic to know more about our comprehensive CUREplus Cancer treatment.